When appraisals restarted in October 2020 they took on a new format.
In recognition of the exceptional stresses that the COVID-19 pandemic is placing on doctors your appraisal will have a rebalanced approach.
It will focus on your professional development and wellbeing.
You will not have to supply large quantities of supporting information and pre-appraisal paperwork.
The appraisal will provide an opportunity for a confidential discussion and a time for you to reflect verbally rather than in writing.
Your appraiser will capture the discussion in the appraisal summary which you will be able to correct before sign off.
- Appraisals restarted from October 2020
- Appraisals discussions will be conducted on-line not face-to-face
- Verbal reflections in the appraisal discussion will be emphasised rather than written submissions
- Vast reduction in preparation time
- Input-light template should take about 30 minutes to complete (similar format in other portfolio tools)
- The template needs to be uploaded into your usual portfolio toolkit so we can also capture demographics, health and probity statements, the summary (written by the appraiser) and the Personal Development Plan.
- Emphasis on support rather than ticking boxes and written evidence
- All appraisers trained in new approach
- Doctors who should have had an appraisal between April and September 2020 do not need an appraisal until their usual appraisal month in 2021 without detriment.
- See also the official documents and the Frequently Asked Questions.