When appraisals restarted in October 2020 they took on a new format.
In recognition of the exceptional stresses that the COVID-19 pandemic is placing on doctors your appraisal will have a rebalanced approach.
It will focus on your professional development and wellbeing.
You will not have to supply large quantities of supporting information and pre-appraisal paperwork.
You do not need to do patient or colleague feedback this year even if you are due to revalidate - your revalidation date will be rolled forward to allow time to complete this evidence.
The appraisal will provide an opportunity for a confidential discussion and a time for you to reflect verbally rather than in writing.
Your appraiser will capture the discussion in the appraisal summary which you will be able to correct before sign off.
Changes to revalidation dates.
If your revalidation was due between 17 March 2020 and 16 March 2021 then the GMC has delayed your revalidation for 12 months.
If your revalidation was due from 17 March 2021 until the end of July 2021 then the GMC has delayed your revalidation by 4 months.
Currently the GMC has no plans to change any further dates. You can check your new revalidation date at GMC online.
If you are ready to revalidate before your extended revalidation date, then the revalidation recommendation will not be delayed.
Updated 12th January 2021.
NHSE southwest will continue to offer GP’s an appraisal online using the input-light template.
For the year commencing April 2021 the same arrangements will apply until further notice - watch this space!
- Appraisals restarted from October 2020
- Appraisals discussions are now conducted on-line not face-to-face
- Verbal reflections in the appraisal discussion will be emphasised rather than written submissions
- Vast reduction in preparation time
- Input-light template should take about 30 minutes to complete (similar format in other portfolio tools)
- The template needs to be uploaded into your usual portfolio toolkit so we can also capture demographics, health and probity statements, the summary (written by the appraiser) and the Personal Development Plan.
- Emphasis on support rather than ticking boxes and written evidence
- All appraisers have been trained in the new approach
- Doctors who should have had an appraisal between April and September 2020 do not need an appraisal until their usual appraisal month in 2021 without detriment.
- Revalidation dates have been pushed back to give increased time to revalidate. Check your new revalidation date at GMC online.
- See also the official documents and the Frequently Asked Questions.
- You may opt out this time if your appraisal is due before 31st March 2021.